When individuals want to incorporate their start-up SME’s (small and medium enterprises) or form LLC, it is natural that most people will register in their home state. But did you know that, sometimes there are several advantages of actually registering a business or LLC in Wyoming?
Yes, you heard it right, we are talking of Wyoming! If you are not from Wyoming and are planning to start your own business then incorporating in this state can be highly beneficial in the long run.
You are probably wondering the definite advantage that you would derive when you register a new business in Wyoming. There are several advantages Wyoming has over other states and at the top of the list are major tax benefits. Over the last decade there has been an increase in incorporation of businesses or LLC’s in the state owing to the pro-business climate it offers.
Let us take a detailed look at the advantages that a startup company in Wyoming will enjoy.
Incorporation in Wyoming has its own Advantages
It is always beneficial to register a new business in Wyoming as many businesses formed in the state has realized over the years. The advantages that your business can benefit from include:
Freedom from Taxes
Whether you are planning to form an LLC or incorporate a business in the state of Wyoming, the greatest advantage is tax flexibility. Higher taxes can actually eat into the profits of your business leading to slower business growth over the years but when you register a new company in Wyoming, it is a different story altogether.
The Wyoming tax advantages LLCs and Corporations can benefit from include:
- Personal Income Tax: You will not be required to pay Personal Income Tax separately in state of Wyoming if you are operating your business in the state.
- Corporate Tax: In the state of Wyoming, entity tax will not be charged from Corporations and this helps in reducing the burden of double taxation.
- Excise Tax: You will not be taxed or asked to pay state taxes on specific items like gas or food.
- Estate or Inheritance Tax: You will not be charged estate or inheritance tax in the state of Wyoming. This ensures you are able to leave an estate for your family members or children.
- Intangible Tax: In the state of Wyoming, taxes will not be imposed on any type of intangible assets like stock or bonds.
If you thought that the absence of specific taxes is the only advantage then here is some more good news. The overall tax climate in the state of Wyoming is also considered to be one of the best because of certain exemptions that LLC or corporations can enjoy.
- Manufacturing Sales Tax Exemption: If you form a manufacturing startup company in Wyoming then you can leverage the sales tax exemption applicable on sales or lease of manufacturing machinery that is meant to be used in Wyoming directly and especially if such machinery is going to be used for manufacturing tangible personal property like computer, household goods, furniture, collectibles etc.
- Sales Tax Exemption on Electricity: If you are planning to start a manufacturing unit then you will be able to leverage from the exemption on use of power (electricity) or fuel that is consumed directly by your manufacturing process.
Enjoy high Privacy
If you register a new company in Wyoming then you will not be required as a manager of a Wyoming Corporation or as a member of a Wyoming LLC to be listed on the state’s public database. As a result, it will not be easy to make you a target for lawsuits.
As a startup company in Wyoming, you will be able to leverage on several other benefits that the state of Wyoming offers to businesses. Some of those include:
- Unlimited stock issuance: One of the salient benefits that Corporations can enjoy in the state of Wyoming is the ability to issue unlimited stocks. In most of the other states, there is a limitation on the number of shares that Corporations are authorized to issue but that doesn’t work here.
- Limited Liability: If you are forming an LLC in Wyoming then liability will be limited to your company. It doesn’t matter whether you are an officer, manager, or even a director; you will not be held responsible in any way for the liabilities of the company. This protection will only not be applicable if you were to get involved in outright fraudulent activities.
- Minimum Corporate Formalities: One of the reasons why several people register a new company in Wyoming is because corporate formalities and restrictions are almost at an absolute minimum in the state.
- No minimum capitalization: Whether you are planning to start an SME or form an LLC, you can fund your corporation with as low as $1 or as high as $500,000. It doesn’t matter how much capital you are investing even though in some states, “under capitalization,” is a strict “no-no!”
At this juncture, the most common question asked frequently is what are the disadvantages?
Are there any Disadvantages of Incorporating in Wyoming?
Whether you are incorporating your business in Wyoming or forming an LLC, there are a few constraints that are applicable and should be taken into account prior to registering a startup company in Wyoming. These constraints can be treated as disadvantages and include:
- Limited Life: In Wyoming, the life of a Corporation can be forever but LLCs will get dissolved if and when one of the members pass away or even when a member files for bankruptcy.
- Increased administrative costs: If you are a small-business owner residing in another state and planning to register a new company in Wyoming, then you will always have to go back to your home state and register as a “foreign registration document”. This can increase your administrative costs and filing fees significantly.
- Paperwork: As compared to an LLC, a partnership or sole-proprietorship business will always require less paperwork and it is less complex as well.
Apart from these constraints, there are no visible or impactful disadvantages when you register a new business in Wyoming. In fact, the truth is that this is a state that offers the most favorable business conditions in the country.
Order LLC now Order INC now